Monday, August 27, 2012

Weekend Update (Little House Edition)

We've been in Nebraska and our new town for a week now, and I still have that queasy feeling in my stomach, a hallmark of when I'm anxious. That's marking both the good and bad. First, the good: 

Aaron started his new job on our first official day here, and he is working with a great group. He and our family were officially welcomed last night at a service that marks the beginning of the school year; I grew up in the Lutheran church, so it was lovely and familiar to me. In fact, the service was held at the church my Grandma Great and Grandpa Great attended when they lived nearby!

We are almost completely unpacked (downstairs). We have so little storage space, and our upstairs is still a dozen boxes waiting for a home. Poor Shepherd's room is functional, and that's about it. My goal is to unpack completely by Wednesday and spend Thursday working on Shepherd's room.

It has been 90-plus degrees here, but it doesn't feel like it. I love, love, love it! Sunsets, prairie, country skies, open fields, crisp air... my heart is happy here.

We have cable for the first time in our marriage! This is exciting, and it's kind of funny; we are so used to being a season behind in our shows that we don't really know what shows come on at what time. I am mostly looking forward to football season!

I think we will see more friends and family in this week than we did our entire two-and-a-half years in Florida. What a welcome change!

I saw Ted Kooser at the local thrift store today. In Lincoln, this would have been so huge to me. In Seward, I did my best to not watch him or make eye contact. I guess that makes me a local!

Last Thursday I went to see my old bosses, and it was a great meeting. Praying for opportunities and answered prayers!

My sweet boy sprouted two bottom teeth in the two weeks we've been moving. He did so well throughout the whole process, and I am so thankful for his sweet disposition. He's been a little owly lately, though... he is almost crawling; he's rocking back and forth and whining when he doesn't move the way he thinks he should. It won't be long until he's mobile!

And a few things that are not-so-good:

We are pretty disappointed with the home we are renting and trying to decide what our next steps should be. I felt like I haven't stopped cleaning since we moved in. The previous tenants bolted and left a huge mess. I am going to work as hard as I can to make this place home, but I can't help but feel a little disappointed. Big, big sad face. I am glad we are in a house, though, and it makes me want a house of my own even more! Lessons in contentment never end.

We don't get good phone reception here (as in, we don't have any) so I am missing phone calls. The bright side is that I don't carry my phone around anymore... if you want me, send an email or leave a voicemail! :)

Our air conditioner was out most of last week, and the repair man couldn't come until Saturday. But, it's fixed now!

Have a great week!

No comments: