Friday, January 15, 2010

Friday's Fill-Ins was an idea my friend Amanda at Two Things e-mailed me about. She posted her first one today, and I decided I would do the same! I really love the creativity you get within boundaries. Sounds typical of me J

1. The lesson I learned yesterday was always kiss your husband before you leave for work.*
2.Weddings are where friends and family meet. (Ditto, Jamanda!)
3. All these years of college experiences have paid off. I have a private office, wall of windows, and am promoting a mission that I truly believe in: higher education. I’m really thankful for the things that got me here- and I’m not convinced it was mostly classes. I love my university, but the training I got working as a Dow Jones Newspaper Fund intern and the internship I had with the President’s Office really prepared me for the week-long occupation I’ve held. And it’s awesome that I get a “wellness stipend,” which essentially pays for a personal trainer and gym expenses to a certain amount. WOO HOO! I can’t wait to take advantage of that.
4. Aaron had written a letter to me about beginning our new lives together as husband and wife before he left to go to Texas from Florida before the wedding. It was taped on the door to our master bedroom for a month, and I was near tears as I read it when I arrived.
5. The truth is sometimes simple, sometimes complex, and sometimes excruciatingly painful. But it is always freeing.
6. How stinking much my toes hurt is what I remember most from that day.

7. And as for the weekend, tonight I'm looking forward to driving to Aaron’s aunt and uncle’s home in Destin and enjoying their company as well as his parents’, tomorrow my plans include waking up at 6:30 to watch the sun rise over the sea, getting a massage with our left over honeymoon fund, and shopping! (BEST SATURDAY EVER!) Sunday, I want to go to church in Tally for the first time and get groceries. I also want to listen to the Dave Ramsey CDs my mom and dad gave us. Plan a budget! Any tips?

I hope you all have a great weekend. I’m off to the beach!

*A colleague from the Cape Cod Times died yesterday. His name was Charlie Hibbert, and he was the CCT’s copy desk chief when I interned there this summer. Charlie leaves his wife and two teenage kids behind. Though I knew him for a brief time, I will not forget his calm approach to the news desk, even in the most chaotic events of the summer, including the deaths of Michael Jackson and Eunice Kennedy Shriver. Charlie was an example of servant leadership to me, as every Sunday night he took my place in going to the CCT’s printing press across town. Charlie maybe didn’t know how much I hated going to the press at 2 in the morning, and his willingness to help a lowly intern out by giving her one night a week off was an act I won’t forget. Thanks, Charlie. I know you’re up there editing the hell out of this story.