Thursday, December 6, 2012

First Week of December 2012

We got our Frasier Fir last night. This is one of my favorite traditions of the holiday season, made even more special because it's our first tree with Shepherd. It was fun to watch the salesman and Aaron tie the tree to the top of our car's roof, but Aaron was nervous the entire 20 miles home that the tree would fly off. We ate our Taco John's and sang Christmas carols all the way home, at which point he breathed a sigh of relief when we turned in to our driveway.

Now the tree is resting in the corner of our living room, waiting for lights and ornaments. I've also added the cedar garland I bought over Thanksgiving in Texas. I was disappointed no cedar garland was to be found in Lincoln; I called all of our home improvement stores and they said they didn't have any. However, last night, I found one 30-foot strand of garland left. Maybe the stores just don't know what cedar garland is? I should have bought it; I know I can use it, but since I've already decked the dining room with garland, I don't know if I need it. I sure do love it, though. I would like to make some mini-wreaths for our windows, too.



In addition to Christmas at the Nixes, we celebrated Aaron's 26th birthday on Monday night with Eileen's birthday cookies and cookie cake and a dinner in Lincoln. I tricked Aaron with a few surprises (I think) after he said guessed all of the presents I had wrapped. I find it so hard to buy for him, mostly because everything he wants has at least two zeros at the end of it. He is always a good sport, even when I go off the list and get him something he doesn't really want.


Tomorrow night we are headed to Omaha to cheer on the Husker volleyball team face Washington. I'm excited! For the first time in a long time, Aaron is actually thinking about buying himself a present with his birthday money, so we might even do a little shopping while we're there. He never buys himself anything, so I'm (strangely?) excited to see him ruminating over options.

I just love getting in to the spirit of Christmas. The sights, the sounds, the smells all fill me with joy. One of my favorite parts of this advent season has been the daily shereadstruth Advent devo, which puts my heart in the right place as I prepare for what this season is meant to be. I'm so thankful for that joy and for the ways I'm challenged to share it.

I hope you're having a great first week of December!

1 comment:

Julia said...

I absolutely love the garland in your dining room!