Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Last Day of Work


my really empty and sad office; my name placard (complete with bird sticker) from my first grown-up job; and one last shot of ye olde foundation.

For almost three years, I've walked the same staircase, five days a week. I've spent all but 20 days of my married life, and every day since Shepherd was born, as a writer and editor at the Foundation. Today was my last day, and although I'm thrilled to move on, I can't help but be a bit winsome about leaving some of my dearest friends in Florida.

Truth be told. all of my great friendships from our time in Tallahassee have come from working with the amazing group of ladies I was blessed to find a place among. Though our days may have sometimes been difficult, I was, and am, so thankful to be able to count on them for a genuine laugh or knowing smile. They have cheered me on  my transition from newlywed to new mom, and offered help, advice and a laugh when I needed it. And I hope I could do the same for them.

I have watched as life's changes have ushered friends in and out of the doors of the Foundation, and now, as I walk down that metaphorical (unpainted) staircase one last time, I really don't feel like it's the end. I will probably never be employed there again, but the job would have been just a job without these women. They are the reason going back to work after Shepherd was born was so blessedly easy for me, and I can't thank them enough for that (I know you guys read this, so thank you, again!). Every birthday bagel extravaganza, staff meeting, after-staff meeting, conference, and all-staff is worth remembering because of the way our team worked, and continues to work even as some members leave the Foundation.

Thanks for including a bright-eyed (although not always at 8 a.m.) new college grad and Nebraska transplant and making her part of the family. It means more to me than you'll ever know.

P.S. Ladies, please don't edit this post for grammar or style. There are tears in my eyes, and I doubt I can read through it again.

1 comment:

Kiki said...

I think I speak for all of us when I say it was our pleasure to work with YOU! We miss you already!!