Thursday, April 5, 2012

I just love Sissy Spacek's quote below. I heartily agree, and I think one thing i like about The South, capital T and S, is that this sense of family isn't limited to blood. I've met some of my dearest friends while we have lived in Tallahassee; the type of friends you feel just as comfortable dropping in on a Tuesday night to eat pizza with as dressing up for Easter brunch. People are good to each other like family.

It's not limited only to people you know, though. It's the 80-year-old man at Publix who, despite his own frailty, rushes in front of you to grab you a shopping cart because he notices you're hauling a baby in a carseat. Then, smiling at your sleeping son, asks you if there's anything more he can do for you. Seriously, a finer gentleman could not be found.

Thats the thing- people notice. For better and for worse. And this isn't rare. So many people want to tell you their stories, and they want you to be a part of them, too.

There are things that I would say irk me about this place- the gosh darn humidity, lack of seasons, the absence of Husker bars- but one thing I treasure is the familial heart of The South.

No comments: