Sunday, September 11, 2011

16 Weeks

16 w

How far along? For purposes of this post, I'll be recapping week 16. But today (Sunday) is day one of week 17. 

What up? So, above picture is sort of a fake thanks to photo magic. Can you tell my shoulder is turned a little too much toward the camera and my hands are conveniently folded behind my back to make my bump stick out a little more than it does in real life? I guess that makes me a cheater. I am, however, noticing that standing up straight and sucking in doesn't have the powers it used to. I tried to wear jeans because of the cooler temperatures at the beginning of this week, and I realized that soon I won't be able to wear my regular jeans, so off to Target I went for a band. Toward the end of this week I especially feel noticeably bigger. I think it will be funny if I look smaller in the 17 week picture Aaron is taking tonight.

Cravings/aversions? I was starving for a roast beef sandwich this Wednesday. I want mashed potatoes every day. Otherwise, pretty much normal food. I'm terrible at the "what's for dinner?" game because the only thing that sounds good are sandwiches from Jason's Deli. I haven't had one of their sandwiches for probably two years, but learning that they are building a franchise in town has ruined me. It's like Chipotle all over again. No aversions to speak of. 

Etc.:
I'm eager to find out the sex of our little one. I want to know if our hunch is right! We will find out next week. 

I feel weird going through the baby section at Target because I feel like the women in the aisles were staring at me. Oh well... I better get used to it. All of the teeny things were so adorable. I can't wait to know a little bit more about the tiny thing who will be here soon!

We've decided that Mashed Potato is this little one's nickname based on my incredible love for them. Nothing else fits as well.

I'm researching Bradley Method classes. I have found one that begins in October here in town. I'm calling tomorrow to see if it's full. Do you have any experience with the Bradley Method or know anyone who does?

My sister-in-law Tiffany sent me some required reading that I'm eager to start. I couldn't read books almost all of my first trimester because I felt seasick. Weird. 

As I said earlier, bought the band this week. Another thing I felt awkward doing. Stares in the maternity section. Also, when is OK to start buying maternity clothes? Anyone?

Also, remembering the tragedy of 9/11 ten years ago was, in some way, magnified to me this year. Our baby will be born in a post-9/11 world, and though I realize this is a decade-old remembrance, it really struck me today what that means for him/her. Will the fear of terror look to him/her like it does to me? What will his/her generation see as their defining moment? What changes and freedoms and fears can my baby expect? What will the future of the United States and of the world look like when he or she is growing up? I am going to New York and Washington, D.C., in a few weeks, and having our little one there with me is almost unbelievable to me. When the planes crashed, I was a teenager eighth grade. My mom was on a business trip, and me, my sister and my dad had no idea when she would be able to come back home. Now, ten years later, I am married with a baby on the way. How does the passage of ten years seem like a few weeks? I will never forget those who died and who gave their lives on that day and in the years since, and I pray that our baby can know a world where the value, and the cost, of freedom are honored.

2 comments:

Jillian Anderson said...

I think my Potato will find this name hilarious!

Jillian Anderson said...

Also, before I left mom and I perused the baby section. Pretty much I'm obsessed with the little outfits. I would wear them!