Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Couch to 5K

One of my goals for 2011 was to lose a significant amount of happy newlywed weight. I'm not really doing a great job of the exercise part of that, although my eating habits have improved greatly and I've stopped drinking all manner of Cokes.

After a lot of thinking, some researching, a few inspiring conversations and a scale that's not moving (probably because I'm not), I've decided to start the Couch to 5K program. As of today, I am officially Week 1, Day 1 into the program (ha!).

If you follow me on twitter, you have probably seen me playing around with DailyMile, RunKeeper and C25K. Of the three I prefer RunKeeper and C25K. I really like the "training" option of C25K, but I like the stats function on RunKeeper. I think there is an extension that allows you to do essentially what RunKeeper does on the C25K app, but I don't know what it's called or how to access it.

Some things I'm confused about on the C25K app:

  • There is a GPS "button" on the home screen, and when I push it, it stays red but has a sunburst-looking thing around it. Is this how I calculate distance/map my exercise?
  • The music shuffle option repeated two songs on my 31 minute workout. Not a fan. 
  • Under the goals tab there are fill-ins for Distance/Run Pace/Walk Pace/Weight. What does it all mean? Are those actually my "goals," or is that where I enter my current progress?
I suppose my next step would be to actually find a 5K and register for it. I don't know about that, but I think it would be a good way to commit! 

Anybody else use any of these? Suggestions? Comments? Can you make it so I can understand? 

:)

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I satarted running 5ks over a year ago and am addicted. Its funny, because for my first 5k I trained so hard. Then, after I had done three or so, I stopped running for about 5 months and randomly signed up for one and ran it with NO TRAINING. And that's when I realized how mental running is, if you think you can do it you will be able to. Can't wait to hear about your training!