Monday, November 1, 2010

monday, nov. 1, 2010

edited to add:
I apologize for the wonky formatting. I have to use Aaron's computer since he hasn't fixed mine yet. I could go on about that, but I won't. All I'm saying is I might be making a trip to buy a new one if this continues. Thanks for bearing with me.

How is it November? I don't know, but I appreciate the lovely weather. I would prefer it be less than 80 degrees, so let's hope we get there soon.

We spent Thursday, Friday and Saturday flying and driving to and in Cordell, Okla., for Aaron's grandfather's funeral service. The original plan was to fly to Charlotte and then connect for our flight to Dallas, and then we would drive with Aaron's family to Oklahoma. We left Florida on Thursday at 5:15 a.m., got to the airport around 5:30 and found out that our flight to Charlotte was canceled because of bad weather in Charlotte the night before. Since no planes flew out from CLT, none could fly back, and U.S. Airways had no more flights we could take directly in to Dallas. Out went the plans.

U.S. Airways rescheduled us on flights to  Miami > Atlanta > Dallas, but instead of getting in to Dallas at 11:15 a.m., we got in closer to 6 p.m. It was the flight schedule from hell. We couldn't get boarding passes at the US Airways gate in Tally, and we were told that we would have to pick them up separately in Miami and Atlanta. Since our flight out of Tallahassee was late, we had about 45 minutes once we landed at MIA to travel across terminals and get our boarding passes. MIA sucks if you have to do that, by the way. We were given flights to MIA on American and had to get to the Delta gate, terminal C to terminal H, so we had to actually leave the terminal c, run through the other terminals, go through check-in to get our new boarding passes and then go through security again. It was awful, but we made it to the gate in time.

Fortunately, there were no problems the rest of the way (except that this changed everyone else's plans, too) and we ended up getting into Dallas at rush hour. It took another five or so hours to get to Oklahoma and the "Bates Motel," as Aaron's mom called it – it was a tiny motel, but it was clean, and it worked for the seven hours we were there.

That Friday was the visitation and memorial service. I never met Aaron's grandpa, so it was interesting to learn about his many accomplishments as colonel in the USAF. It was chilling to listen as the bugler sounded Taps and Honor Guard firing party shot in to the vast Oklahoma plain. After the service, the family sang "How Great Thou Art." We walked around the cemetery and found the gravestones for Aaron's relatives who fought in the Civil War. I think those sounds are what I will remember most about his funeral.

Ater the service, Aaron's immediate family went to dinner in Oklahoma City, and then we split up to head back to our respective homes. We stopped in to see my sister at her dorm at the University of Oklahoma, and it was so lovely despite getting lost. I hadn't yet seen her dorm, and it was good to visit her and see her cute little home. Don't worry, Jillian, it wasn't messy.

We continued on to Dallas, and Aaron's sister and I talked for a while about birth order and it was a good time. Yes, I think birth order is more than pop psychology, and I plan to blog about it at greater length sometime in the future. Back in Dallas, we spent the night with Tiffany and Rob and watched "The Business of Being Born." I should say that Aaron, Tiffany and Shannon watched it, because I was dozing in and out for most of the movie. It is funny to listen to Aaron talk about documentaries because he has such strong feelings about them, and you can tell he's ruminating over how much editorializing has gone on through the editing process. Nonetheless, he was interested in some of the positions the movie took, and I plan to add it to our Netflix que so I can watch it all – awake.

Saturday we had burgers at Clown Hamburger and flew back home. We were late getting out of DFW, and Shannon very nearly missed her flight. The three of us ran across the Charlotte airport, and, fortunately, all made it in time to board. Aaron and I were happy to hear the Huskers won against Mizzou, and we are ready to spend Aaron's birthday weekend in Dallas and see the Huskers win the conference championship (not to mention see our niece – we hope she's here by then!)

Yesterday, for Halloween, we carved a pumpkin, ate candy, watched Psycho and put costumes on the kitties. It was a serendipitous moment to see Norman Bates and the Bates Motel after hearing my mother-in-law talk about it all weekend; also serendipitous to find two costumes at Petsmart on clearance and small enough to fit our cats. Livy was a lobster, and Toby wore spider legs for about .75 seconds before he attempted to shred anything touching him. He was orange, so we called him a pumpkin and let him be.

And that's what we've been up to.

No comments: