Tuesday, September 21, 2010

tired morning

Yesterday, my drive-to-work routine that takes longer than it should (about 5 mins a mile) took even longer than that. Thanks to a really irritating construction project taking place on one of the main routes to work, all traffic (which has gone from four lanes to two lanes) was diverted except for one lane. You should know that my pet peeve is when idiots people drive through an intersection and have to stop because the traffic in front of them is not moving, thus blocking the intersection for everyone else. Well, I've found that this is commonplace in Tallahassee, and yesterday, because I REFUSE TO BE THAT JERK WHO MAKES PEOPLE MISS THREE GREEN LIGHTS IN A ROW, I stopped at a green light. Because traffic wasn't moving at all. All the way up the longest stretch of road in town. I could tell, because I could see all the way up the road, and the pedestrian crosswalk was at "4," meaning that in four seconds the light would turn to yellow and red. And I wasn't going to block traffic that had the right-of-way.

HOWEVER, redneck truck behind me was NOT HAPPY that I wasn't moving up, and he laid on his horn. I am not a morning person, and this really put me over the edge. I did something really effective and shook my head and stared at him through the rear-view mirror. He saw me look back and quickly looked down and pretended to ignore me, but I continued my very effective non-verbal chastising.

All that to say, don't honk at me if I'm following traffic laws. Or, honk at me, but be prepared for the evil eye. Don't worry, I'm trying to get to work as fast as the next person, but I'm not going to break the law to do it.

(somebody needs grace this morning)

This morning was a frenetic one for me. I was holding both earrings in my hand when Toby ran in to the bedroom and scared me, and I threw one earring across the floor. As I bent down to find it, Olive (the earring thief) ran under the bed, found it and scurried off with it in her mouth. She'll probably put it under the rug in the kitchen; it's where we often find hair ties, bobby pins, pens, markers. and Hot Tamales (the candy). I didn't chase after her, so hopefully I'll be able to find the earring tonight.

I left a little earlier because of the construction, and treated myself to a Pumpkin Spice latte. mmmm, Fall! When I got to work, I took a sip of the latte and spilled a penny-sized drop on my desk. My mind registered the spill as DISASTER and I let out an audible gasp and quickly smashed my shirt on to the puddle to smother out the evil pumpkin residue. Yes, completely unnecessary. I could have walked to the kitchen and grabbed a paper towel, but instead, I decided to mop up the spill with the hem of my shirt. Kla$$y, always. Thank goodness for Tide-to-go pens.

So, all that to say I'm not really feeling on top my game at 8 a.m. today. Have a great day, friends!

No comments: