Saturday, May 15, 2010

Sick on Saturday

Today was really kind of a bummer. I planned to knock out the painting of our bedroom, but instead found myself feeling nauseous and with a major headache. We saw Robin Hood last night, and I think the movie theatre popcorn made me sick. I went to bed feeling bad, and I woke up feeling the same way. The headache was an unwelcome addition – I very rarely get headaches, and when I do, I am seriously out of commission. I did do some grocery shopping this morning and went to find new curtains for our second bedroom since we're having guests next weekend, and I planned to go to pick up the paint we wanted and get started. By the time I went through the line at Target I was exhausted and felt like the store lights were light sabers frying my brain. Yes, I just made a Star Wars reference that wasn't making fun of my husband. THAT'S HOW AWFUL I FEEL. So I skipped the hardware store, came home and fell asleep watching the second season of Mad Men. I woke up and it was 6:15 p.m.! I was really upset that I slept so long and practically wasted one entire day of my weekend, which means tomorrow I will have to hit the ground running to accomplish everything on my lists.

In this post I talked about using woven wood shades in our living room, but I think I'm going to use this tutorial from Little Green Notebook and make Roman-type shades using the awful mini blinds we already have! I'm thinking about using burlap or something similar for the three windows in the living room, and if I have enough time I'd like to find a fun pattern to do something to the blinds that cover up the french doors out to the patio. I picked up a fun pillow at Target this morning, and I'm planning to get these pillows from JCPenney:

as an alternative to these from Pottery Barn.

It's a $10 difference, but that's significant to us right now, and the quality and composition are really similar after seeing both in person. Aaron loves the Linen Stripe Pillows, and I love the blue with the coral outline, so I think we're going to be extravagant and get the pillows we actually love.


I am excited to put all of this together and see if it works. Of course, it may not, and then I'll start over and make some changes. Either way, it's fun to dream all of this up, despite being a little difficult because I am incapable of visualizing things!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of reusing the mini-blinds to make new, prettier shades. One question though - are you using the blinds that the apartment has? When you move, will you replace those since you have to basically ruin the original blinds to get the prettiness? I'd love to do this with ours, but don't really want to have to replace them.

emily/thesearethedays said...

Thanks, Jenny! Our complex has an up-front fee that we pay for any changes we make to the walls and to the blinds, but I have looked around and replacing the blinds if we have to is about $3 per piece (so $15 total for our living room/dining area). I think we're going to do it!