Monday, March 22, 2010

3.22.10

Today I practiced using no sarcasm in what I said and wrote as a part of my Lenten calendar. Today was also the first day that the health care reform bill has been passed. It was a difficult day for me because I can think of so many ways to harden my heart to what people are screaming at each other, both for and against the many issues this event encompasses. Things like this make people stupid, make people say reprehensible things without thought and make them downright frustrating to exist alongside. It doesn't matter what side of the debate I am on; if I can't treat another person with common decency and recognize their right to an opinion without using crude, crass and hurtful tactics, my voice is doing nothing.

Proverbs 10:12
Hatred stirs up dissension, but love covers over all wrongs.

1 Corinthians 13:1-8a and 13
If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

No comments: