Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Social responsibility

A fellow Dow Jonesie, Katie, wrote recently about her job as a literacy volunteer. Her blog is twistingkaleidoscopes.blogspot.com. I was challenged and encouraged by her words and actions, and I am so happy to see social responsibility (all responsibility is social, I think) in the life of a college student/intern/young adult. It's challenged me to see how I can use something I'm good at to help someone else. Thanks, Katie.

The end of my weekend. Got a little done. Tomorrow's grocery day. Hopefully it's beach day, too...but from the sounds of the rain outside, it's not looking pretty.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Thanks so much Emily! I'm glad I could inspire. Depending on your hours and free time in Cape Cod, I'm sure there's places there you could volunteer if you're interested.

Hope your internship is going well!

emily/thesearethedays said...

In fact, I checked it out, but there's a 14 hour training period and you have to commit to work a year at our literacy center. I'm researching other avenues, though. Thanks again, Katie!