Thursday, April 26, 2012

Shepherd :: One Month




My sweet angel boy, 

We are so happy you are here. The past month with you has been more than I imagined in so many ways, and knowing you actually get to stay with us makes my heart swell. I want you to know how much love you received in your first month on this earth from so many people. Your family made thousand-mile trips to see you (some of them twice!), you received so many letters and cards and gifts from friends and family and those who love you (mama still hasn't finished those thank yous, though!) and spending all my days with you has brought out a consuming love that I couldn't have predicted.


Every time you wake up from a nap I'm reminded that you've grown a little. Your eyes are open so often now, and they remind me that everything you see and hear and touch and experience is molding and shaping the little boy and man you will become. I hope you see, hear and feel the palpable love that surrounds you. You were born with long, dark hair on the back of your head and not much on the top, just like your daddy had when he was born. In this first month, we have watched your hairline get darker as you went from our little old Benjamin Button baby to having fuller features. Around three weeks we went from using newborn diapers to size ones, which mama had a hard time with. Just like when we tried your newborn zippies on and your toes curled up because the feet were too small and we couldn't get the neck past your shoulders. You are growing into such a strong baby boy.

I am thankful for our days together. I lie you on the floor on your tummy for a few minutes a day, and you lift up your head like such a strong baby. Things so mundane now make your mama and daddy incredibly proud of you. Your slate gray eyes gaze at me, and I feel at once as if I've known you a thousand years and we are meeting for the first time.

I have heard people say that the newborn phase is boring because all you do is sleep and eat. It's true, your activities are limited, but I am absolutely in love with every moment you are here. I love that you are so close to me now, and I know that one day, maybe soon, you will need me less. I will be proud for you when that time comes, but until then, I want you to stay close and small in my arms for as long as you want to be.

We are amazed at how much you love to be taken on outings. You have fallen asleep in your car seat each time we've ventured out to dinner, to church, shopping or to run a quick errand. We love that, for now, you are a perfect little traveling companion. You belong in our family!

Last weekend, right before you were three weeks old, someone at a store asked me if you were eight or nine weeks old. I couldn't believe she thought you were so old! You have long legs and arms and a tiny little belly.

You are the light of my world, little one. I am so thankful for your first month here, and I can't wait to see what next month will bring us. I am so thankful that Jesus let us have you!

Neat things you did this month: Met your Birdie, Poppie, Nana, Papa, Aunt Shannon, Aunt Tiffany, cousin Imogen and Aunt Jilly in person. You also met your Uncle TJ and Aunt Tiffany over Skype. You had visitors three out of your first four weeks! We were so busy. Your first outing was to Free Pancake Night at IHOP (ha!) at almost two weeks. Your second was to Target the next day. Mama didn't know how to take the car seat out of the car, so Daddy had to show her.

Love,
Mama


At one month:
Height: 24 inches (97th percentile)
Weight: 11 pounds, 11 ounces (90th percentile)
Wore size newborn clothes for two to three weeks, now in size 0-3 months.
Wore size newborn diapers for two and a half weeks, now in size ones.
Your eyes change from dark blue to steel gray.

Nicknames:
Baby Guy
Sheppy/Shep
Sheppy Giuseppe
Shepì Pepì (Only Daddy calls you this one)

No comments: