Monday, March 26, 2012

Changing Seasons

This weekend, we cleaned out our closets and switched out our hoodies and sweaters for shorts and sundresses (for me, anyway). I packed away my maternity clothes, too, and we separated a few items for donation. There's something I love about being able to see the changing seasons this way, and this spring feels even more different than usual. Honeysuckle is already blooming, pollen is falling like rain, the sky is cornflower blue most of the day and the afternoons are 80 degrees. Easter is coming. The seasons change every year, and it's remarkable; our lives have changed forever, and it's remarkable.

I have a long list of things to accomplish this spring. Some of these things are small, and some of them are tremendous and scary. Some of them won't get accomplished right away, and that's OK, and some of them will never happen, and I have to be OK with that, too. My goal for this spring is twofold: do as much as I can without sacrificing being as much as I can and to be thankful in all situations. It's hard. And I am weak and impatient. I am also so, so quick to say a quick "thanks, God," when something great happens but not recall long-term thankfulness when something hard happens. I want to work on that in this season of change.

Happy Monday, friends!

3 comments:

Julia said...

Great post...Great reminder to always be thankful to God!

jennifer little said...

Be PROUD girl! It's awesome! I wish I had done it. It's a huge accomplishment for many reasons. Mainly it's wonderful that you were 100% in tune with his first day and not fighting the meds to stay focused. Bravo -- so proud!

Amber said...

I'm glad you are going to write your birth story! It's such a special time in you & your family's life. Everyone's story is unique and there's no reason to hold back saying what you experienced because you're worried about what people might think of how you handled labor and the pain that goes with it. Pain is a VERY subjective thing and as a nurse who gives out A LOT of pain medication every day at work I see this first hand.

It's awesome that you were able to go through labor without any medications because I'm sure that's what you wanted and you accomplished that goal! I have had two amazing birth experiences with an epidural and I wouldn't have changed a thing about either one (because that's what I wanted). As a mother you have just entered an entire lifetime of comparing and feeling judged by other mothers/parents (if you let it happen). It is difficult to not compare yourself or your children to others as well. Just remember that every child is different. Every family is different. You have to find what works for you.

I'm anxious to hear the rest of the story!