Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thank goodness for automatic transfer into my retirement account. I re-read my quarterly statement this afternoon, and when Aaron saw what I was reading through, he asked what I was doing. Somewhere in the shuffle of getting married, starting a new job, figuring out the complexities of benefits and carrying on with life in general, I forgot to tell him I about the retirement account. My husband is very, very attune to our financial status, and for him to have no idea about the money sitting (and, hooray, growing!) in this portfolio was a welcome surprise to him. So that's my good news for today... I loved showing him how I contribute to our family, especially because I feel like I often spend/want/require a lot more than he does. I think it would be much more difficult to contribute fully to this if I had to transfer the funds myself from my paycheck, so I am thankful that my work gives me the option to never even see the money in my paycheck and zip it straight to the other fund.

You know what I am looking forward to? Daylight saving time ending on Nov. 7. My biological clock awakes me around 7:30 a.m., so I hope that this "fall backward" means I will feel rested enough at 6:30 a.m. to wake up a little easier.

I went grocery shopping today and saved about 1/6th of my purchase total by paying closer attention to the sales. I really want to learn how to clip coupons to a point where I am reaching meaningful savings (I mean half or more of my total purchases) with each grocery trip, but I haven't been dedicated enough. I know I have said this before, but it's just really hard to plan and then shop for meals when I do not know if Aaron is going to be eating with me. I am setting a goal starting in November to plan two weeks of meals at a time and budget accordingly. I will let you all know if I am successful...

We went to the pumpkin patch yesterday and found a good pumpkin to carve.

I started my Christmas wish lists and everything (all three things) I want is expensive.

I finally put together some frames for my office, and it looks a bit better.

This October weather has been such a tease. Glorious fall temperatures at the beginning of the month, and then the letdown of 85 degrees and smothering humidity this week. I want cold, and I want it to stay.

My kitten's toes are still pink. Will they stay that color, or will they turn darker? I hope they stay pink.

No comments: