Wednesday, April 7, 2010


Here's the deal- our home is un.fin.ished. And not just in the "collect and display with things you love as time passes" way. I mean we still haven't unpacked many of our clothes from boxes; dressers are empty; closets are packed to the brim. Nothing looks the way I want it to and nothing feels "good enough" to be considered complete. Take a look at my listography and it's pretty obvious from my to-dos that I feel like an epic fail wife when it comes to nesting. But it comes down to saving and spending and trying my hardest to not choose the former.

It will be such a relief when I'm not the only one working, and I don't say that to belittle Aaron's dreams of graduate school. I love him because of those dreams and because of the adventure he chose long before we chose each other. With that said, working while he finishes school is difficult because I feel the need to work hard at work and then come home and work hard at home to make it "our home." When something overwhelms me or frustrates me, like the massive amounts of stuff to do, I tend to ignore it completely (hello, avoidance issues) so instead of coming home and doing, I retreat from it all.

You guys are probably thinking I'm crazy. Um, yeah.

This tangent just to say that this weekend I am getting something done. I don't know what, yet, but it will be great. Maybe I'll post pictures of before and after (once I decide what both of those things should look like). I have a hunch to start in the tiniest area so I can prove to myself that it can be done and working from there. So maybe one of the bathrooms. I love the PB shower curtain in the above picture, and it's on mega-sale right now, so I'm thinking about getting it and using that as the inspiration for the tiny little place. Doesn't sound too hard now that I type it out.

So we'll see.

1 comment:

K. A. Mallard said...

Don't beat yourself up, Em! It's hard enough being a newlywed and starting your career without feeling your home needs to be perfect. One of the things I have learned (and am still learning) is that nobody expects you to have it all figured out by a certain age. Just take life one day at a time and try to enjoy the little moments.

Great idea to start with one small manageable project (like the bathroom) and go from there. Before you know it, you'll look around and be amazed at how much you've accomplished.