Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Best of 2009.

Hello. I'm Aaron. I like movies. And now is as good a time as any to sum up my thoughts of 2009. Here is my top list without seeing a lot of ones that interest me such as Up in the Air, Precious, Invictus, An Education, The Messenger, The Lovely Bones, Crazy Heart, A Serious Man. This year was the first year in a long time that I haven't seen all the best picture nominees. Sad.

1. Away We Go (Not a popular decision by all means, but a film that moved me in a way that I can only say about a handful of other films.)

2. Fantastic Mr. Fox (One of Wes Anderson's best and the most likeable film of the year.)

3. Moon (Brilliant. On a shoestring budget with a mesmerizing performance by Sam Rockwell.)

4. Up (Anyone can like this film. It doesn't alienate any age group and that's why it's so well deserving of recognition.)

5. Che (I know this technically came out at the end of 2008 but I'm counting it for 2009. Such a risky film to make with both parts combining to be well over 4 hours. This isn't a movie, it's an event.)

6. Where the Wild Things Are (I don't think there's a better movie that captures the child's heart.)

7. District 9 (The literal and emotional transformation in this film sticks to your mind. This film had so many things going on at once, but at the end it was all about heart.)

8. Avatar (There's a lot of haters out there. But I'm one to say that the box office numbers this is putting up stands alone. The films in that league are some of the very best ever made. This film is solid all around. I didn't say it's the best all around, but it's certainly solid all around and that's a lot more than I can say about 99% of films.)

9. Star Trek (This is another film that I classify as being solid all around. I really can't complain about this film. J.J. Abrams knows how to find moments and motivate them. He's a filmmaker I will follow in the future.)

10. The Hurt Locker (Great film, high tension, well acted, well directed. It just didn't latch onto my heart in order to be higher in my list. I will say that I wanted to stand up and throw my fist in the air at the end of this film. What an adrenaline rush.)

Notable Mentions: (Wendy and Lucy, Whatever Works, The Hangover, Inglourious Basterds, Taken)


2 comments:

emily/thesearethedays said...

Wendy and Lucy kicked Avatar's tail-like appendage.

Anonymous said...

Away We Go and Star Trek get my votes for sure. Good choices Aaron : )