Thursday, January 21, 2010

DJ Hero Nix

That's my new nickname by a select few on set.

For Christmas the Anderson's got me DJ Hero for my PS3. It's silly, but I love it.

Emily knows this, but I'm not sure many other people know this about me. I love dj's/dance music. For some reason it's one of the few styles of music that when played really loud around a lot of people it completely takes me to another world. No, I'm not on drugs. It makes me feel like I can be free just for a few minutes. I know that sounds odd but that's the only way I can explain it.

I'm not a fan of club music where hundreds of people bump and grind on each other. that's just sort of gross. I experienced that to a large degree at the Rave tent at Coachella where there were at least 10,000 people in that tent with the DJ. I thought the music and the atmosphere was amazing. The drug scene there was insane. Not something I really want to go into.

But I find the art of being a good DJ fascinating. I wish I could not only mix tracks live, but switch up beats to keep the crowd going from song to song. It's something you feed off of.

Emily and I went to a free Weezer concert last night and this DJ that opened for them looked like Jesus. So he was known as DJesus. Anyway, we were up in the seats and Emily knows me so well because she would look at me and smile and say "You're loving this aren't you?" And I would shrug it off, but it's kind of my guilty pleasure. I like some dance music. Not really to dance to, but to get into that mental state it throws you in.

No comments: