Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Jul 22

"In all your dealings with one another, speak the truth to one another in love that you may grow up." Paul of Tarsus

Summer's always been a wistful time for me. Something about the way the sun shines or the lack of things to get done-though there are still a few- remind me of the people I love. Being in Lincoln has been a bit different. I miss my family, and not only because I'm buying my own groceries. I miss making supper with my mom, watching "Price is Right" with Jillian until noon, swimming, summer nights with windows down and music blasting, Dad's annual crawfish boil, Tyler friends,
and stuff....But not the monsoon season of summer 2007 and working overnights at Target. There are things to be thankful for.

A friend and I talked briefly last night about our culture of consumerism, and I kept thinking about how much I used to like who I was. Not that I don't anymore. But, it's humbling to think of how much I've fallen in love with "stuff." Not pleasure in enjoying what I have, but needing more.

So, story time:
The day after Aaron and I left MN, I got a call from my dad. My uncle had apparently been in a boating accident that day- he and my cousin were kneeboarding, hit some waves, and fell off. My cousin was fine, but my uncle was knocked unconscious by my cousin's kneeboard as it flew across the wake. The kneeboard rocked him. He has a smashed face, essentially- fortunately, the hit missed his nose and mouth and landed on the right side of his face. He's back at his home in Denver now, waiting for the swelling to go down so he can have surgery to repair his eye and jaw.
But that's not all.
After his first scan, a tumor the size of a walnut was found on his pituitary gland, which, apparently, would have blinded him within months. The neurosurgeon in Fargo, ND (where he was ambulanced from the lake) said the tumor appeared benign.
My uncle was most upset that he wouldn't be able to compete in a marathon he's been training for in August.



Schwazey.
Like this picture.
Go! Self-timer!


No comments: